Falls frequently occur due to water or debris on high traffic areas such as entrances, stairs and parking lots. The changing of seasons causes added hazards as temperature changes can create wet or icy conditions. These hazards often lead to injuries followed by lawsuits.
- Floor Mats – Snow and water can be tracked inside on customer’s shoes, making the floor and mats wet and slippery.
- Entrances – Often an area of heat exchange, which can cause rapid ice build-up.
- Parking lots – Fresh or melting snow can cause puddles to form, which can turn your entrance, sidewalks and parking lots into giant ice patches.
- Walkways – Areas, where downspouts drain near or onto walkways, may become hazardous.
- Ramps and Stairs – Inspect handrails to ensure they are in working condition.
Tips to Reduce Falls
- Straighten buckled or curled floor mats frequently.
- Check to ensure that the floor is dry and free of debris. Document on your maintenance log sheet.
- Clean wet floor mats or replace them with dry mats frequently.
- Extend the length of the entrance floor mats during wet weather to give customers more time to remove snow and water from their shoes.
- Place “Caution – Wet Floor” signs prominently at the end of the floor mats and near high traffic entrances.
- Promptly clean snow and check for icy patches at the entrances, sidewalks, areas around spouts and parking lots. Document on your maintenance log sheet.
- Apply sand and salt regularly during business hours to prevent slipping.
For more information on strategies to prevent slip and fall incidents, please contact one of our risk management professionals. While risk management strategies can reduce your chances for loss, in the event of a loss it is important to ensure your business has the right level of insurance coverage. Explore our Commercial Insurance solutions to learn how we can help protect your business.
Articles for You
Employee theft is a reality that impacts a variety of business. Employee theft is also one of the most difficult…
Fires can start out very small, often as a result of a simple malfunction, overheated electrical wiring, or because of…
Western Financial Group Insurance Solutions
Insurance Done Differently.Learn More